Skip to main content

Changing World, Changing Me | Dying World, Dying Me




We are revisiting lockdown states – empty streets, closed shops, voiceless, noiselessness all around. Last year, in my privileges of being able to be at home, I was enjoying the quietness and simplicity that reminded me of a simple rural 'being' with only necessities and no frivolities. I remember hoping that the world takes notice of how important this is and how it has changed personal lives of so many. I was hoping we find a way to bring these simplicities in our success-driven, fast lives. Definitely, I wasn’t thinking of these waves and more lockdowns to revisit that quietness. 

Today, a part of me is tired of this. And another part is realising that there was hardly any time in history when everything was right in the world anyway. Perhaps, there were moments - like a swimmer coming up for breath and then going underwater to swim ahead - there were perhaps just moments. There were always ideas for a better life. 

Like a synchronicity, I saw The Trail of Chicago 7. It reminded me of so many metaphors in my life. I have seen examples of the judge, the lawyer for the state, the defendant lawyers, and the accused 7. The people have changed and moved on, but the roles they represented at that moment of time, haven’t changed. We are still waiting for someone to ‘hear my voice’ for change, for a better world, for a place where there is place for everything.

Again, the world has proven that when you place power in the hands of a select few (like we do in democracy) based on what they ‘show’ you about themselves, these roles will always recycle and will never die. There will always be people who abuse power, who are irresponsible, who are frivolous with its use.

Yet again, the world is proving that democracy doesn’t work. Especially, when capitalism is in its disguise. In a capitalistic world, ethics and morals worked only in Atlantis of Atlas Shrugged. In the real world, these romantic ideas of a world that gives power and value to creators, is a threat to the millions of second-handers, the followers, the ones milking someone else’s ideas. Like Atlantis, looks like these idealists, moralists, creators, change-makers have taken a sabbatical from the world.

But, I digress. Back to the beginning. The question is, in this world at a crossroads of another change, another revolution, what change are we willing to make in our private, public lives to create the world we believe in? What are we willing to do? What is the constant reminder of death in the field, freeing us of? What needs to die - in us as individuals, in us as a collective, in us as a community? 

I dont have answers. Personally, what needs to die in me perhaps is - wanting to be safe. Safe in my expression, safe in my being, safe in my relating. Dying calls for a rebirth. Risk needs to birth in its place. 

Perhaps. 

What about you?

Comments