Skip to main content

Re: Respect

I dont usually do this. But, today I want to stand for my voice. This is one way of doing it. 

I have just came back after watching the movie Thappad. I sit here with a well of emotions and thoughts as if the thappad has been to awaken something within me as well. 

If I say that I haven't braced for a thappad (physically or emotionally), I would be lying. Every act of witnessing and being weak in the face of violence is equally violent. I have witnessed men physically and/or emotionally abusing women. I have witnessed men treating their wives as their property and expecting them to simply support them.I have seen these perpetrators in all classes, they are simply more accepted in the lower economic class, and are hidden behind a curtain of education and privilege in the other economic groups. I have seen the society at large turning a deaf ear. And, I have also been a party of that pretence. 


This thappad has been to see it for what it is, and not buckle up for not having the courage to face what it would mean to face it. Everyone is responsible for this state - men and women alike. 


To change, we need to bring up our sons and daughters with a respect for individuals. For that, we need to first face our own demons; men of being the perpetrators of this and being victims of inheritance, and women for being victims and allowing the perpetrators to do what they did. 

This is a big ask for everyone. 


I end this by saying that I hope I have the courage to stand up the next time I see or I face any disrespect for my identity and my boundaries. 

I hope we all can. 

Comments